Edward is a Furness Railway K2 Class. He is a mixed-traffic engine of the North Western Region of British Rail, formerly of the NWR, LNER and Tidmouth, Knapford and Elsbridge Railway, and he is the narrator of "The Stories of Sodor".
After his railway closed down, he was sent to work for the newly formed Elsbridge and Knapford Railway, where he met Toby and Thomas for the first time. Toby and Thomas taught Edward how to handle goods trains.
After the Railway was taken by the LNER he became their mixed-traffic engine. In 1923 he was an enemy of Arthur and after Arthur died, he did not believe in Arthur's Ghost but after seeing it, he believed.
Once Edward took dirty water which let him becoming ill but he did not want to let his passengers away, after reaching the station before Gordon's hill he did not think that he will make it, but after Peter came to him, he helped him and pulled Edward and his passengers up the hill where Colin saw them, Peter left Edward at Skarloey Railway, Skarloey was there and was surprised.
Edward is one of the oldest engines on Sodor. He is very wise, makes choices carefully, and always tries to help those in need, and is a friend to many. He also isn't quick to make judgements. However, he can sometimes be stubborn, as apparent in the episode Goods, when he wants to keep going with his train despite not feeling well, he is some times cheeky.
Before Edward came to Sodor, he was painted in Furness Railway's Indian red livery with black lining, the letters "FR" written in yellow on his tender sides. Right now, He is painted North Western Railway's sky blue livery with red and yellow lining and the number "2" painted on his tender sides in bright yellow with a red border.
Edward is based on a heavily modified Sharp, Stewart and Co. "Larger Seagull" K2 Class, supplied to the Furness Railway in 1896.
- Branch Lines
- Quarantine (narration only; does not speak)
- Jinxed (narration only; does not speak)
- Thief (narration only; does not speak)
- Trapped (narration only; does not speak)
- Prejudice (narration only; cameo)
- Maintenance (narration only; does not speak)
- Replacements (narration only; does not speak)
- Reshuffle (narration only; does not speak)
- Nationalisation (narration only; does not speak)
- Closure (narration only; does not speak)
- Coal (cameo)
- Mistake (does not speak)
- Preview (in the preview)
- Edward is presented as Hercules from TUGS.
- He is also the narrator.
- Edward is age 49 in The Stories of Sodor.