Toby was built in Ireland and was shipped to the Island of Sodor to work at The Harwick Tramway. After the tramway was closed he was bought to the Elsbridge & Knapford Railway and was shipped there. When he arrived, the Wellsworth & Suddery Railway engines did not welcome him, but he ignored that. He, along with Thomas, helped build the line, and they both taught Edward how to pull trucks hen he first arrived on Sodor.
Toby is old but wise, hardworking, and knowledgeable enough about running branch lines. However, his advanced age and design means that he is weaker than the other engines. While Toby is always ready to work hard without any fuss, he can be a bit temperamental sometimes.
Toby has consistently been painted brown with grey sideplates and cowcatchers. He has the number "7" painted on his sides in yellow with a red border.
Toby is based on a GER Class C53 0-6-0T Wisbech steam tram (reclassified as J70 by the LNER) built at Stratford Works. In the Stories Of Sodor he is a prototype of that class.
- In the Stories of Sodor continuity, Toby was built in circa 1879, as it was stated in Quarantine that he was nearly 59 years old, however. Toby's class was not built until 1903. This is explained away by the fact that he is a prototype of the class.
- Toby is presented as OJ from TUGS.
- Toby is age 60 in The Stories of Sodor.
- Toby is fluent in Spanish and is so far the only engine known to speak a second language. (Other than Sudrian).
Stories Of Sodor
- Legality (does not speak)
- Carriages (does not speak)
- Jinxed (does not speak)
- Thief (cameo)
- Strike (cameo)
- Sabotage (cameo)
- Maintenance (cameo)
- Shunted (cameo)
- Armaments (cameo)
- Books (cameo)
- Trial (cameo)